Witness to History
Through decades of challenges, IND stood tall. IND helped slaves reach freedom as part of the Underground Railroad.
Sisters and students nursed both Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. On July 24, 1864, IND’s first class graduated in a public ceremony, accompanied by cannon fire and the burning of bridges between Washington and Baltimore. During the buildup of WWI, the sisters were ordered to register and be fingerprinted, since most were German, and the U.S. was at war with Germany. The sisters took care of students and each other during the deadly 1918 Flu Pandemic, as a few sisters succumbed to the disease. When city buildings were burned during the riots of the late 1960s, IND was spared because of its relationship with the community.
In the 1970s, when other city schools left for the county, IND stayed. Our roots here are deep and our commitment to the people in the community surrounding us very strong. We’re right where Blessed Theresa intended us to be.