Changes to Curriculum
The course of instruction during the post-Civil War period included etymology, rhetoric, composition in prose and poetry, logic, reading, and elocution, mental philosophy, arithmetic, bookkeeping, astronomy, geography, sacred and profane history, physics, botany, chemistry, physiology, German, French, Spanish, plain needlework, vocal music, and drawing.
As the years passed, the School Sisters read the signs of the time and added to the high school curriculum, revealing a belief that education means enabling the whole person to realize the fullness of her potential. IND emphasized cultural subjects but did not fail to follow practical trends. IND was among the first schools in Baltimore to recognize the value of instruction in business subjects. An academic–business course was listed in the course of studies as early as 1896. As the roles of women changed during the early 20th century, IND’s academic/commercial program became so highly respected that businesses in the Baltimore area regularly contacted the school in June, eager to hire IND graduates.
The graduates of the Class of 1923, 12 in number, were the first to complete what is known as a four-year standardized high school course. IND was placed on the Maryland State Department of Education list of approved non-public secondary schools on February 27, 1924.
Over the years the School Sisters continually educated themselves, so that they could provide the best education possible for their students. They prepared their students with the academic and practical knowledge they would need to face the world with confidence and to cope with ever new challenges. They constantly reinforced values of faith in God, self-confidence, and commitment to excellence.