About IND
The IND Story

Growth Spurt

As the Collegiate Institute for Young Ladies, IND accepted both day and boarding students and included an elementary and high school.
The space was divided between the increasing number of postulants and children. Surrounding the building were lush vegetable, flower and fruit gardens as well as a gazebo, courtyard and a grotto.

To relieve overcrowding at IND, the SSNDs purchased land on North Charles Street in 1873 and established the Notre Dame of Maryland Collegiate Institute for Young Ladies with 63 students. The school was the precursor of Notre Dame Preparatory School on the now named Notre Dame of Maryland University campus.
Back
Established by the
School Sisters of
Notre Dame in 1847.